Monday, October 4, 2010

Versailles

Ah, Versailles. One cannot visit Paris and not stop by Louis XIV's humble abode. I had been to Versailles once before with my parents on a sweltering day in August, so visiting on an overcast October afternoon was a bit different for me. The chateau, as always, was beautiful. Extravagance doesn't begin to describe Versailles. Absolutely everything is gilded. Some rooms actually look like they were completely dipped in gold. Then there are the gardens, stretching for miles. Usually a scene of water arcs welcome you into the greenery, but the fountains had already been turned off. All that was left were the gaping mouths of frogs and tortoises, left empty.

While I was visiting Versailles, a very interesting art exhibition was going on. I didn't know before, but this particular exhibition has caused quite the debate in Paris. Japanese artist Takashi Murakami's animé-like work, in my opinion, could not have looked more out of place in the 15th century French chateau. Not only was it not aesthetically pleasing in any sense, but it actually distracted me from enjoying the beauty of the building. Decide for yourselves if you like it or not; but I think my pictures speak for themselves. And what would Louis think? Well, maybe if Murakami threw some gold paint on her sculptures he'd approve.












The chapel






Hall of Mirrors


















I don't know who these people are but they looked oh-so-romantic in this paddle boat. And even more so in black and white.




At first there was just one...and I thought, 'Aw. What a cute little catfish.'


Then I throw one little piece of my ice cream cone in the water and suddenly 17 bloated catfish appear under me, begging me with their huge mouths. Not so adorable. 


OK, so I threw them a little more cone. It was fun to see them attack each other for it!


Takashi Murakami's Palace Exhibition
Bizarre and more bizarre







No comments:

Post a Comment